Saturday, February 27, 2010

Deja Vu

We got our load out of Ontario and this time went much smoother as we came through the border. I still found myself getting uptight and nervous as we got closer but I made sure that I had my drivers license ready ahead of time so I didn't have to relive that trauma!

That load delivered in Middleton, Tn. If you've never been there, you haven't missed anything. It was out in the boonies. After we delivered, we went out of service to do some laundry, eat, and most important, get some rest. 

I think we've done pretty well for newbies but we definitely do not have the stamina that a seasoned driver has. I think the biggest problem we have is trying to sleep while the other is driving. I never thought it would be that big of a problem, but it is. I don't know how to explain it, but imagine laying in bed and your bed is moving, sometimes shaking hard enough to cause discomfort, you can hear cars and trucks passing by, it's still daylight out, your bed moves and stops, moves and stops. Other drivers say that eventually you get used to it and some claim to sleep better in the truck than they do at home.

All I know is that for now, we aren't getting rested when we are on loads so we have to stop and rest when we need it. Safety comes first. This is another reason we decided to go with expediting rather than mainstream truck driving. Company drivers don't have the luxury of going out of service or turning down loads. They get a load sent to them, they have to do it. Period. 

After going back into service, we eventually received a load offer that was picking up in Huntsville, Alabama which was good because it's the same place we picked up at just a few days ago. We won't have the stress of trying to find it since we now know our way there.

The downside to the load is that it again is going back up into Canada. Specifically, Windsor, Ontario. More paid sight seeing for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment