Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Who's hiding the freight?

So we delivered yesterday in Shreveport. It was a nice smooth routine delivery. I love those and wish they happened more often. We drove about 2 miles to the Petro after that and parked and waited for the next load. We've had about 3 load offers but turned them all down for various reasons. Probably should have taken one of them but at the time we didn't realize that we would still be sitting here this morning. We had been having pretty good luck with getting loads, but since coming back out after our last time at home, it's been completely different. Hopefully things will turn around soon.

This particular segment of trucking is unique because of the nature of expedited freight. What can be a good area one visit can turn into a slow area on your next visit. It's always a gamble. Patience is a requirement for this job. You really must have some form of activities that you enjoy that can be done while sitting and waiting or you would go nuts. For me, it's reading. I read books, news, and blogs. We watch movies and tv some. Not a whole lot, but if we're in the mood, we will. I have the ancestry project that I started on. Also, my newest project of the travelblog for expediters. I can keep myself occupied pretty well. As long as I'm satisfied with the amount of money that we have in the bank, I can sit for a while without getting too cranky.

Thank goodness the weather is starting to cool down a little. It's 10 AM here and it's still cool enough that we haven't had to run the ac. I much prefer to have the windows open with the fan running. We had breakfast this morning in the Iron Skillet. We had high hopes for it because we ate there yesterday and everything was delicious. My eggs were the best I'd had in a long long time. My bacon was cooked perfectly. The french toast was delicious. Today, however, all those same things were completely different. Apparently there was a different cook today. Very disappointing.
I think it's nap time.

No comments:

Post a Comment